Sunday, September 15, 2013

Hello Darlings,
I have been on holiday in Canada, resting in the sun, yes it is true, and taking some needed time to reflect and do some art.  It is time to start working on the next show and song lyrics just don't write themselves (wink wink).

Most of the time I reflected... On Friday, I am going to be having my debut in Portland! I will be participating in a wonderful theatrical experience called Testify.  So, I have been thinking about my testimonial, what do I want to share, how do I want to present myself....The thing is, I just want to have the courage to be brave enough to present myself.  I want to be.  These last few years have provided me with so much growth as a human and as a performance artist.  
The other afternoon, I was standing on a deck over the ocean, the sun so hot and my body drying after jumping into the salty cold water that made me feel so whole.  As I stood there I was breathing into my feet and out of the top of my head feeling as expansive as I could and I saw my life in the strangest of ways....
I have always been this little seed that had been scattered into an area of rough terrain, never feeling courageous enough to allow water and the light to find me and help me grow.  For many years, I was just kind of kicked around the rocks always finding a place to hide from the light and the call to grow.  Courage comes at its own pace and mine took years to appear.  Many people laugh when I tell them how shy and afraid I am.  It is the truth.  I have always been afraid.  Afraid of being myself.  You know this I have mentioned it before so we won't bother with the details.
What I do know is that I finally figured a few things out and I trusted enough to let the moisture and the light find me and something scary and amazing began to happen.  I felt my outer shell begin to let go and something from my core began to grow and shift, as delicate as I was I pushed up against the soil and also down into the earth.  I expanded my space and grew.  I was even more scared, I didn't have my protection anymore, nowhere to hide.  I was delicate and shy as I rose to the surface.  And then it hit me, the glorious feel of the sun on my new flesh.  I felt so alive!  What a gift I had given myself.  Truly.
Astoria has molded me in ways I never even realized.  Through the shoving and pushing (even the pushing of friends encouraging me to come out) I have been given the strength to take a chance and grow.
Sure, I get nervous walking out my door.  Sure, I think it is odd that people still yell faggot as I walk down the street (As if I didn't know.  Hello I'm wearing gold satin hot shorts and glitter in my chest hair).  But I never let it stop me.  Each day I have the opportunity to remember how awesome and incredible the sun felt on my face the first time I chanced to look up and out, and I put that quality to my step as I walk down the street.
And I remember this even more as I strap on those six inch heels and head out the door to shine as Daylight.  I am ready for you Portland!!!!  You were my host when I came out as a young boy finding his way through the dance beats at Brig and Boxxes in 1991 and now I am coming to you as Daylight and I am ready to continue our dance.  Let's have a blast.  Let's say hello to one another and celebrate that we have an opportunity to share and grow together!  As Virginia Slims say, "We've come a long way baby!"
I will see you on Friday at Testify and maybe out dancing!  Remember, I'm shy please say "Hi."
With baited breath and glossed lips,
Daylight Cums

No comments:

Post a Comment