Sunday, January 4, 2015

DAYLIGHT ALERT

Happy New Year y'all!! I have a spark of creativity that has been surging through me but I have not had the means to release it. I have been really trying to honor my journey and learn from the moments I am given. Lately, it has felt like too much to even put on a cute outfit.  Truth is, I miss my heels and dancing in them! I never thought I would... I mean, come on, they are back breakers and my feet ached every time; but the moment I put them on my feet and stride as Daylight I ignore all that pain because all my soul feels is pure beauty.
I made a promise to myself: I am taking this year off from doing a big show, teaching and working insane hours. Instead, I am focusing on my physical wellness. Many of you already know that I am facing my back issues. I have always been one that powers through and works above my physical means because I am determined to be able to do it all!!! Not to be greedy, but because I have many tastes I wish to satisfy in my life. This year, I am going to taste the beauty of slowing down and mending this sack of flesh I call my temple.
As I say to myself each morning as I'm doing my physical therapy, "I'm turning my breakdown into a break through." So.... As I was walking down the street the other day listening to Madonna's new single live for love (which is my new soul track at the moment) I had a flash! I pulled my head out of my ass and understood a few things! The most important being that in lieu of doing Dragalution this year I can still have a big dance party!! It is the best part of the shows next to seeing everyone all dressed up and expressing their inner drag!!!
So......on January 30 at 9pm at the Astoria Arts and Movement Center I will be hosting DRAG IT OUT!!!! I am too excited!! We will have an incredible night of getting to work it out on the dance floor! There will be jello shooters, a few surprises from the Cums family performance archives and other surprises!!!
Another revelation I had was that I am going to start using my cousin and protege Moonshine Cums for some of my other artistic ventures I am working on. I just know you are going to love her as much as I do!! She is the sweetest! One of the projects to watch out for will be our weekly YouTube episodes. I have told Moonshine that the best way to learn is to teach; so she will be helping me in the kitchen and in the studio when I am unable to be there.
The most important thing I realized was actually an old conversation that was pulled to the surface of my mind. It was from a mentor I had while I was working on my MFA in Dance. We were talking about lovers and he said that being in relationship was something he gave up for the love of his dance. I recognize this trait in myself. I have always kept myself too busy to have time for love. I have had love of my craft, of food, of work, nature, friends but have kept myself too busy for love of a lover. So I step forward on my path this year with an even more open heart and an awareness that maybe all I need is love...
And I KNOW I am loved. I feel that from y'all on the daily. I'm just sayin that I am open to a relationship this year! I got all of that from one little song on a walk.
Here is to us! May we all look around more this year. May we find more calm within our souls and more bravery in our lives. May we continue to dance with our freak flags flying and celebrate the fact that we are here and we do have support from those around us. I've learned all you have to do is to trust and to speak your heart and that listening without judgement is divine. I love you!! I can't wait to share the dance floor with you on the 30th and I can't wait for the next time we see each other eye to eye:)
Yours truly,
Daylight

And here she is, my cousin, Moonshine Cums!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment