Thursday, April 21, 2016

An Ode to Prince....Shaking that ass, shaking that ass

I was washing the dishes this morning when Becky walked in and told me that Prince was dead.  I still can't wrap my mind around that one, it (my mind) is blown right now.  I kept it together as my mind started running through my life with Prince....
It all began up at 1435 3rd, 1984, North facing bedroom.  I loved my room that year.  I had a long stereo with red velvet behind the dark braided wood; it played records and 8 tracks!  That year, I had scored an adaptor to play my cassette tapes at the rummage sale.  It changed my life!! I had also saved up enough money from my gardening job to buy Purple Rain at Bach and Rock.  Oh yeah, back to the room..I had a tea cart with crystal brandy decanters, which I kept filled with iced tea when entertaining guests (which I did often), and an assortment of fancy glasses.  I had a few swivel cushy chairs and my shell collection suspended in fishing net along a corner and across the ceiling.  I also had a plate shelf that I had knick knacks on and special things like my grandma's red high heels and an old pair of driving goggles.
These goggles gave me great insight into Prince and his sexy ways.  When I had my dance parties, in my room, I would put them on when dancing to Prince.  Daylight, Marco and Mark: throwing great house dance parties since 1984.  It's true though (wink).  I used to help organize our CCD youth dances at the Auditorium at Star of the Sea.  Heidi and I would spend hours listening to Portland radio stations for all the current hot hits; I always loved the extended radio remixes.  Got me every time.
I have just really never been able to keep it in.  I just kind of naturally burst.  I'm always wet; seriously.  Niki and her magazine.  So dance sessions in my room were always crazy; we may have been totally white small town Catholic kids, but we could offer it up and express our joy in dance!! The moment I clicked that brand new cassette tape in the 8 track adaptor and flipped the switch and turned up the volume and closed the door and my eyes as I let the music take me over.  My hand needed to explore the space around me and my body.  I had seen a few videos on MTV and had been writing my romance novel, so I had a pretty clear idea of what sexy was all about.  I may have been a hefty boy, but I could cut it up.  I was still dancing at Maddox, upstairs at the Liberty.  Jazz dance; I loved the power of the thrust and isolations.
There is something else, the afterworld....
My body is moving and shaking in ways I can not control.  I cut free, I feel my raw pure nature and spirit of adventure and expression.  I wanted to go crazy.  I could feel it way deep in my being.  Shaking and spinning and thrusting and thrusting and swiveling my hips in ways I never knew were possible.  I know, many times, I would end up just back on the bed feet flat on the mattress as I would thrust my hips skyward over and over releasing the demons that took over me and allowed me to know the strength of sexual desire.  It fueled my curiosity for ever.  Still does.
I'm really more of a hot slutty dancer than a slut.  I've never really slept around. What I love are dance floor flirts that turn into dirty dancing with lots of turns, kicks, slides and pelvic thrusts.  Never enough pelvic thrusts.
That is one gift I love to give people!! I do it via teaching pelvic isolations in my dance classes; even in my ballroom dance classes, especially when working on the cha cha.  Ask any of my adult students and they will tell you.  I make you move your hips.  I don't know why we have such fear of harnessing our core power and letting that energy shine and charge the space around us.  I love the pull you get when you are in a really great dance.  Is it weird that I am telling you this?  Well, I'm weird, so there ya go.  I'm not saying this in a sexual, like I really get turned on by you and want to have you hump me kind of way; I'm saying it in a I can feel that electric pull between us drawing our energies together and causing us to express in ways we normally don't do on the dance floor kind of way...
I love that we have those moments together!!!  The energy we create together is life changing.  We raise the roof and lift our souls up and out as we thrust, touch, turn, dip, clap, snap and step ball change our way through the music. I love that we all trust one another enough to be our open freaky fun and totally normal in my world kind of way.  We will always have our dance.  We can always express, we have the power of movement and the more ways we find to do so; the stronger in life we will become.  Dance heals us.  Dance connects us.  Nothing compares to you.
I remember living in Manhattan, I've always been one that loves to say Manhattan over New York, back in 1994 and how "Sexy Mother Fucker" was my theme song!  I could not hear it enough.  I know it was how I first learned to twerk.  Pressing my bare chest against the hunter green walls of the kitchen/living room, balanced on the pieces of foam I got out of a dumpster to make a couch with; my sling back platform shoes touching the floor as I worked my ass (barely in hot shorts) up and out bouncing my way through shaking my ass, shaking my ass, sexy mother fucker shaking my ass.  All the way across the country, shaking my ass.
I don't know you, but may I have this dance?  Eye contact is good.  I get it I have to go internal too, I have to shut my eyes and let it all wash over me and set me free, transport me beyond.  I can still feel you there, my eyes shut I see your glow, feel the rhythm of your movement quaking the air around me, your arms lifting, work, blossoms, weed, skunk, vintage suit; sex.  Filling my senses and driving me up and out, here I go again left eye to left eye, palm to palm as we swivel and shake through goddess to goddess, floating about the earth as we are held in the sweet sounds a connection unlike any we have had before.  That is why I dance.  That is why I connect.  I like being close to you. Prince, you will always guide me on.

No comments:

Post a Comment