Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Fat Tuesday

Hey y'all!!! I have been in New Orleans for the last week enjoying the charged season of Mardi Gras as we raced to today! I have been planning this adventure for months with my friend Jeanine.  She and Uriah have a house mere blocks from the French Quarter and we have been planning our fun times while here:)
There are a few things you should know:
I love to travel.
I have a very sensitive system, especially with food that I love making me sick.
When I travel, I like to pretend that I am a normal human that can eat whatever I'd like and not suffer from it...wrong!
In April it will be a year ago that I gave up gluten to ease the inflammation in my body, especially my lower back, so you can imagine the shock and horror I've been putting myself through this last week!
My first meal was at Coops for the fried chicken that I dream about!!! The next morning we had grits with shrimp and sausage. Ribs and Mac and cheese at the Joint, the other place I dream about. Then there were all of the house parties with amazing spreads of food, so many sandwiches and baguettes with cheeses and spinach dip...fuck.  I've missed all these things so much! 
Each morning we start out by leaving the house and walking to Envie for a coffee for our walk through the quarter, while we wait for Molly's to open so we can enjoy a frozen Irish coffee, which I must say is to die for!!! Then home to make breakfast, change into our parade gear and head out for all the action.
I have seen SO many parades! Such a fun experience, standing on the side of a road with people all dressed up, holding our drinks in one hand and waving and begging to be noticed so we can score a really great strand of beads, or a shoe, or a coconut!!! It's really all in the eye contact mixed with a bit of open loving aggression;)
I've been bloating up and up as the days have passed.. I've had my usual 3 toilet births a day but I've been swelling up and not in the way I like....
I'm only saying this because I hate feeling bloated when I'm supposed to be a glamor queen and last night I was to perform, thank goodness fringe is so forgiving!!!
Jeanine was able to hook me up with a gig through Tru, a fabulous queen that is her neighbor. Meg's has a show Monday nights and Tru said that I should come down with her and speak with Rusty about getting to do a number! The cards were in my favor and I got to do one number... As I'm freezing my ass off walking downto the club I found myself happy for the extra bloat warmth;) until I took the stage and realized how slowed down I moved.. This bitch had to work hard.
The evening was a blast and I woke this morning, Fat Tuesday, to the call for French toast before we all ventured out in the pouring down cold fucking rain... 
What's one more day I say to myself as I shove a second piece of French toast down my throat... Not so much.. Two blocks into our wet walk I am hit with that old familiar feeling I've been so happy to be free of- my chest burn gas bloat miserable dead roadent reminder that I am delicate and need to pay attention. So of course I had to try to wash it away with a delicious Reuben and fries!! I never learn. I did hold myself back from eating the rack of lamb and asparagus and salad we had for dinner.  I sat at the table wrapped in a blanket so no one could see how sickly bloated and miserable I was/ still am;)
Jeanine just laid on my bed, which is convienently located in the kitchen;) I'm serious!, and we were talking about it and I mentioned that I weighed myself this morning after my first toilet birth and was horrified to see I had gained 8 pounds in one week!!! She replied, " well, it's just stupid to weigh yourself on FAT Tuesday!" Duh what was I thinking.....
I am excited about the lesson I'm taking home from this trip!! I'm identifying yet another pattern that I've been stuck in and I am freeing myself from the pressure of having to eat what I crave; I'm going to eat what I need and what makes me feel best. 
Does this mean I will never have fried chicken, ribs and French toast again. French toast never again!  I can guarantee that;) fried chicken and ribs will find their way into my mouth again I know that, but I will be much smarter at the rate and frequency I do so;)
This has been such a great trip for me! I have L.O.V.E. Loved my time!!! And I am so sxcited to be home and get back to me and what I love to do; teach, cook and put on a show and party for y'all!!!!
Much love and a big sloppy kiss,
Daylight

No comments:

Post a Comment