Wednesday, March 26, 2014

The Alley Way

Today has been such an ultimate treat! I was given one of those moments I will cherish for years:) we are in the process of filming the Drag Queen Rap music video; we will be sharing it at the August 8 DRAGALUTION!! Colin Smith had a vision and we are role playing it for the camera.
Back to today, we filmed the "alley" scene. You know, the one by Erickson's Floral and Paramount Drugs. The scene opens with 3 of the kings playing dice and then Daylight, that's me, appears and a whole scene, including a slap across the face happens. Well, it's a public thouroughfare and there was some foot traffic and someone called the cops. 
Just minutes before a few cast members suggested it would be funny to go across the way and film people and their reactions as I stand on the corner looking like a hooker and see how long it takes the cops to show up ..
The camera is rolling, dice are being rolled, money tossed and me standing like a hooker and the cops appear just like that!!! It was so awesome:) apparently someone called in that gambeling  was going on in the alley! Then, another cop car pulled up and they were there for part of the filming.
Everyone was really nice. We just told them we were filming a video and he smiled and left us to it.
Throughout the shoot, people came by to see what was happening; shop owners came out and said, "hi" and blew kisses. Tourists even stopped and asked to take photos.  I love Astoria so much!!!
After all the group filming was done, Colin Smith and I did some solo shots ( no not that kind of a solo shot) of Me walking the streets of Astoria. We were in front of the Wet Dog, I was staring pensively into the grease waste dumpster-searching the meaning on life and being sad that the answers were not there....a car pulls up and a sweet older couple ask if they could capture my photo.. Well, of course.. The man says, " now give me a nice big smile honey." Took the photo then said," you are beautiful." And he blew me a kiss as he drove away. 
While all this is happening we have all the families, in the Wet Dog,
rubbernecking from their seats to watch the show; especially as I walk down the slippery dock to the next spot.
The best was standing on the corner of 10th and Marine Drive and hitch hiking with my thumb out and flirting with the passing spring break traffic. It was awesome! The double takes and giggles made my heart swell. I was truly doing my part as gayor of Astoria by boosting their spirits or boiling blood as they drove through our fair city.
I totally missed it, because I was waving to passing cars on our walk back, but the guests in Himani were doing that classic group take as someone passes; can't block shit that perfect;)
Anyway, of course I was totally nervous being out in broad daylight, the shroud of darkness is always so much more comforting to walk around in; but I had such a grand time and as I type this I feel so fortunate to live in such an incredible place and get to be surrounded by art forward, smart, crazy loving people that come out and encourage this old queen to keep it up, and by up I mean the work;).

No comments:

Post a Comment