Wednesday, April 15, 2015

That's entertainment

I have always loved to entertain!! In our neighborhood, up on 3rd, all of us kids were always up to fun times. One of my first entertaining attempts happened in our backyard, on the basketball court my dad had poured for Steven and Lisa to practice their hoops. For me, it was my stage!! And, tanning spot because it got so damn hot, and I practiced my skate moves.
Which leads me to my first 'show', a roller skating presentation of some ABBA songs. We had practiced our moves and invited the neighborhood to come and join in the show.  What I recall is people gathered on the sunny hill, I'm
sure I served lemonade and sun tea, have always been able to count on me to be a proper hostess. Seriously, at 11 years old, I had my own tea service cart in my room with old crystal decanters that I would fill with soda, tang and ice and serve my friends when they came over to listen to the ABBA 8 track and we would have a proper happy hour.
Anyway(ssss), back to the roller skating show.. We were awesome! What I loved most was looking out and seeing the joy and brightness on the faces gathered there. Those expressions and the way it made me feel inside was the beginning of my quest to entertain and spread joy. 
That summer, I enrolled in a clown class up at Clatsop Community College. I was hoping for more material, inspiration. What I learned was to take what I had inside of me, make it bigger than myself and to express it without apology.
It felt incredible! I was the only kid in the class, typical for me. Being the shy boy I was, it was a incredible challenge for me it it gave me the skills to carry on.
How was I to know those skills would help me throughout my journey.
Especially in high school. I may have been pushed, shoved, spit on, beat up and verbally attacked; but they only got bright smiles from me and I always landed on my feet with pizzazz.
Since I was Catholic, in high school I had to go to these classes, CCD, to continue my path to confirmation. I used it also as a tool to hold dances in the auditorium at Star of the Sea. Creating the perfect playlist became a passion of mine. I remember sitting for hours with my tape recorder ready to capture a dance remix from the radio. Listening for those songs that grab my soul and lift me up.
Creating the mix for dances with the right amount of slow songs, placed just so was such a fun challenge. My neighbor, Heidi, and I loved to craft these things.
In those days, I'd grab the speakers and equipment from all the great rummage sale merchandise dad would have storing up for the big June sale in the gym.
We would make decorations and snacks and punch and hope for a big turnout. I knew the reality, we were the Catholic kids having a dance at the grade school, it would most likely be us and a few others. I never cared, as long as the music was good and I could dance without being bullied I was golden!!
As I grew up, the parties evolved. I would throw themed dinner parties, cocktail parties, Halloween parties and impromptu dance parties wherever I could!!!
There is no greater medicine than dancing it out!! Sometimes we feel it and other times the feeling is trapped beneath the issues in our lives and the dance wants out, but we have forgotten how to release our joy.
I moved back to Astoria for two reasons: first, because I feel most alive in this incredible place and second, to share the joy and bliss of dance and unlocking our souls that have been conditioned to be in lockdown so as not to be judged.
DRAGALUTION is my medicine. These parties are what I love to share, because the bubbling up that happens when we all gather and allow ourselves to be larger than we are and dress up our inner whatever we wish to express and we come together to dance, and laugh and shine and grow. This is the magic of our lives. This is the magic of Astoria!! 
We have the opportunity each and everyday to step out and shine for ourselves and one another. Some days are tougher than others; let's face it, even the sun sets and gets tucked behind clouds and fog; but it shines within.
In all honesty, our last party in January, I was trapped behind a thick fog bank, but the show still went on. That's entertainment!! It was a true test for me, having to perform injured and depressed, but it taught me to find a new way to access my bliss, my dance and my benediction. And I was able to shine in a different way for you. What got me through was seeing your bright and glorious faces surrounding me and filling me with joy and laughter!!!
That said, we have DAYLIGHT'S DANCE EXPLOSION WITH DJ GRAY MATTER on May 2 at the AAMC!!!!!!!
This is going to be an incredible party!!! We have new numbers to dance for you!! Music to move our bodies and souls with!!! Great drinks! And, most importantly, an opportunity for us all to let our freak flags fly and dance it out bitches!!!!!!
And.... I am extra excited because my brother, Ken, who has yet to experience one of our parties is coming!!!!! 
I can't wait to shine with tall!!! You are the reason these parties happen!
As always, if you see me on the street, say hi!!! 
All my love,
Daylight

No comments:

Post a Comment