Thursday, April 17, 2014

I was once straight

I was once straight. No, really I was.  I needed to be. I didn't really come out until I was 21ish, so the years before that I was straight (I know, right). I was even engaged, but I'll save that for another time. I want to tell you about my attempt at being a dude during the spring on 1988.
I was only the city league volleyball team, we liked to party, a lot. I can't really remember why, but we were having a group camping trip out at Fort Stevens and we were tearing it up on the sand hill side of the lake. I had been making my 'moves' on (we will call her 'sweetie') sweetie for awhile and my buddies were pushing me to make the move on her on this trip. I was nervous as fuck. How was I going to do this? I kind of liked her, but only in the regards to her hair and outfits, I was in now way attracted, but I was hopeful that she would be blurred by my charm, Drakkar Noir, and feathered hair... She won't notice the braces or the swish.
I knew I was going to need some liquid courage so I had a buddy buy me a fifth of tequila and a 2 liter of my personal favorite, California Cooler!!! I miss the days of being to buy a 2 liter of a wine cooler! We went out on the rubber boat on the lake and I guzzled the tequila in 3 swigs and started in on the California Cooler, finished that real quick and burped nice and loud, the echo was awesome.
By the time we got back to shore I was feeling G O O D! I mustered up the courage to ask her to go on a walk with me. She said yes. Fuck. Now I will have to go through with it. We are walking along, I am so wasted. I remember going to hold her hand, poor sweetie turned and was all like," what are you doing?"
I was like,'I'm trying to hold your hand...!i want you.... Let's kiss...'
She shoved me with that eew type of energy and was like, 'you are gay.'
WHA. WHA. How could she I'm thinking. My actions were something like: no I'm not! I'm going to grab you and kiss you and prove once and for all that I am straight.  Remember, I'm totally drunk right now. So I go in for the kiss and I know I must have looked the freakish scared and angry boy with braces and feathered hair trying to be straight and wishing I didn't have to go throughwith this but I just needed to.. It was a breaking point for me and probably one of my top ten lowest moments I can kind of remember.
She wiggled and slapped and freaked and called me names so I pushed her into the bushes and turned on my heels and swish staggered back to the group and then all hell breaks loose.
My other friend, "darling" was sitting on a table and was getting in my face about how stupid I was being and how drunk I was and I'm sure a bunch of other shit that I can't remember because I was so drunk. I all I remember was saying I hated her, yelling some more and then we slapped each other and I stormed off heading for the camp site.
I don't know how I made it back, all I remember is crawling and seeing A 12, A 14, A16, A 18, A 20 and then A22.
According to my brother, who had borrowed my car to go cruise the gut it seaside, when he got back he was calling out for me and all he heard was a,"hhheeelllppp mmmeeee" over and over again. I had managed to get into the tent and zip it back up and when he opened it he said I was laying in a sea of vomit. I HAD PUKED EVERYWHERE AND ON EVERYTHING!!!
Next thing I remember was waking up and seeing a huge fire. Oh my fuck they are going to burn me. But no, it was just the bon fire and I was wrapped in vomit soaked sleeping bags and shoved under the picnic table. Perfect. I passed out and woke to the sound of chirping birds and feeling pretty good considering. I snuck out and drove away from my shame.
I was humiliated and since I couldn't remember most things for the next few days, weeks and for some things years, people filled me in and teased me about it all. It was not uncommon to be walking along and hear someone moan out 'hhheeelllppp mmmeeee.' 
I was able to mend some wounds with most people, but I still have never felt good about that situation. I even had several friends 'intervene' and give me the talk about coming out.. Maybe consider the fact I might be gay. Who me? No. Never. I'm straight, I just haven't found the right girl yet. 
Yeah right. But then I did, and a good Mormon girl too. 


No comments:

Post a Comment